UPENN NROTC STATEMENT ON COVID-19
UPENN NROTC remains committed to the development of exceptional Naval Officers and to the health and safety of all of its Midshipmen, staff, and the Philadelphia community at large. As the world continues to grapple with issues of unprecedented scale and human impact, our organization embraces these challenges head on and adapts to overcome them.
Transition to Virtual Training
As we continue to execute the NROTC mission and commission future Naval and Marine Corps leaders, we must prioritize the safety and health of all NROTC personnel. To ensure the safety of all students and staff, the University of Pennsylvania NROTC program will transition to a fully virtual curriculum. The benefits of conducting in-person training are outweighed by the risks to personnel health and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. All training evolutions will be conducted in a virtual environment and the Hollenback center will be closed in the Fall 2020. See the Midshipmen FAQs section for more information.
1) I am an incoming freshman on scholarship, do I have to worry about my scholarships and stipends still being paid?
No, you do not have to worry. We are committed to ensure that all Midshipmen scholarships and stipends will be paid in full.
2) Will the hollenback facilities be closed, including the wardroom and the work out facilities?
Yes, all facilities will be closed unless a specific exception is granted by the Active Duty Staff.
3) Will we still be conducting the PRT/PFT and swim qualifications?
No, the PRT/PFT and swim qualification requirements will be waived for this semester for all Midshipmen. However, maintaining personal fitness is vital and we are committed to ensure that all Midshipmen are adequately supported in reaching their fitness related goals.
4) Will I be required to live in Philadelphia if all of my university classes are virtual?
No. All training evolutions will be virtual and will not require Midshipmen to live in Philadelphia for the Fall 2020 semester.
5) I am an incoming freshman, and I do not know what to expect from Kilo Company. Will Kilo Company be completely virtual? How will Kilo Company work now?
Kilo Company, along with the rest of the Battalion, will be 100% virtual. However, we are committed to giving the incoming class the best training possible while maintaining a virtual learning environment. Expect mandatory zoom sessions, supplemental assignments, and check-ins on your PT.
- USN (United States Navy) COVID-19 Standard Operational Guidance Version 2.0 – NAVADMIN 173/20
- UPENN Coronavirus Guidance and Resources
- Temple Coronavirus Guidance and Resources
- Drexel Coronavirus Guidance and Resources
- Philadelphia Coronavirus Resources
- CDC Guidance on COVID-19
Outreach to UPENN NROTC for More Information
If you have questions or concerns regarding our policies concerning COVID-19, feel free to inquire at Contact.email@example.com.
All information and policies are subject to change.